Sunday, January 6, 2008

DIA DE LOS REYES MAGOS

In Mexican tradition, January 6 is “Dia de los reyes magos.” I believe this is the day that the 3 Wise Men arrived @ Bethlehem to visit and take baby Jesus presents. In Mexico, the gift exchange is done on this day, thus this is the day the children are anxious for. Christmas eve and Christmas day are also celebrated but so is today. My mom got back from visiting my sister in Virginia yesterday. She had a blessed time being with my sister and her family. So, my mom came over to our house today with gifts. Since she was gone for Christmas, she brought them over today. Our kiddos liked the presents. They received some from my mom and Tia Esmi (my sister). I feel so bad though, I still haven’t sent them their gifts!!! I will soon. There was something that made me extra happy today….Adrian gave my mom her first true real hug today. He hardly ever wants for her to look at him, hold him, talk to him or even touch him. I asked Adrian to give TITA (what the grandkids say instead of grandma or wela) a huggy, huggy to say thank you. He walked over the toys and gave my mom a beautiful warm hug. He even stayed there for a minute. My mom also realized what had just happened. That also made her happy. I hope that was the first of many. The entire time my mom was here, Adrian was quite a bit more tamed. He was laughing with her and playing with her.

5 comments:

Sal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sal said...

i was very mean to my moms mom. I never wanted to hug her or kiss her. And i was already in my teens when i was like that. i think at one point my mom told her how i felt about that because from then on she would just extend her hand out to shake it.

when i was already out of high school. maybe about two years afterwards. i was sitting in my lazy boy in my room chatting on WebTV when my mom came to my bedroom and asked me to do her a favor. for some reason i knew it had to do with her mom.

i walked outside with her and her mom was sitting in her sisters car who was down from Washington. My mom wanted to me go say hi to her. but it was really a goodbye. She passed away maybe a few days later.

im glad Adrian is coming around and i pray that my kids are nothing like me when it comes to family stuff. i know im still doing wrong but i still dont get over it.

anyway.

LUCY said...

I have a niece who doesn't like to hug my parents. We kind of try not to force her but of course we feel bad for my mom and dad.

Just curious, does he see her often?

Great moment to blog about though. :)

Rob said...

Is that the Day when you buy that cake that has that little plastic baby in it and who ever Eats it has to Throw a Party in Feb. ? ?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Adriana Sujey said...

@ Sal, so ur still like that? I do thank God that our parents did force us to visit and do the hug thing and all. I am close to my grandparents, or grandmas. Our grandpa's have passed away.
@Lucy, nope, Adrian doesn't see my mom often. In big part, my fault. I am the parent that should guide and lead.
@ Rob, ur right on the bread thing, just hopefully we won't EAT the baby that's inside. With a little bit of luck, we'll see it before we choke on it.