Saturday, January 19, 2008

Can you smell that?

It's funny how certain odors remind you of something. Whether it be special, ugly, or yummy. Some candles may trigger some memories also....mom's homemade apple pies, the outdoors, or I don't know?

My parents are originally from Mexico. My sister, brother, and I were born and raised here in San Benito, TX. So for most of our vacations, we went to Mexico. At that point and time, we didn't like it very much. There were three places we would visit...El Rancho de La India Escondida (my grandma's ranch), Cd. Mante, and Santa Engracia. Things were very different overthere. There was no electricity, running water or water heaters at the ranch. No fast food, no neighbors, or no noise! When your young and used to the city, you feel that without those things, it's not a life.

As I got older, I did like to spend my summers in Santa Engracia with my single older aunts. (To date, they never got married) I had a lot of cousins and I also made a lot of friends there!! The kids over there would love to make me speak in English. It was neat! Now, I miss going over there! I'm so glad our parents made us go. That is the only reason I have memories from my family in Mexico. Not only that, I know my family. If you don't visit, you won't know your family!!! I now wish to be back with those clear skies at night, clean air, quiet environment (except for the animals making noise), and night lit by candles, lanterns or the moon! Even just for a few days. Now-a-days, that would be a true vacation....RELAXATION!

Ok, so back to my title....
I went outside tonight and someone was cooking out. By the smell, I could tell they were not using charcoal. Maybe mesquite? The surrounding smell, reminded me of Mexico. It automatically made me bring those memories to the front of my brain. And what else did it make me do?????? SMILE :) And at the same time, a little "carcachita" was passing by, helping my memories even more. Most of the cars over there make alot of noise! I can't wait to go and take our children! Although Abel hates to go!

I'm gonna try to dig some pics........

3 comments:

juan said...

I remember those days also, my dad is from Mexico, so every weekend there we went, until I turned into a teenager & was too cool to go with them, so I thought
I do miss those days where they thought we were rich when we went over there if they only knew, hehe
and the smell thing, moth balls, moth balls remind me of my aunts house, she used to live there in la Gallina.

Sal said...

they say smell is the number one sense linked to memory.


which is why rob has a bad memory because he cant smell anything~

Adriana Sujey said...

Why can't Rob smell anything? Don't tell me, cuz of something crazy ya'll did when u all were young? My sister also has a friend that can't smell anything, so he can't taste!