Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mrs. Roboto

Today is Day 4 of sporting my Air Cast Boot. Monday, August 20, my hard cast was removed.  It was such a relief!!  After 8 weeks, I was so ready for it.  I had no idea what to expect at that visit.  The only thing I usually pray for when I go to my orthopedic surgeon, is for GOOD news.  And God has been so good to me, so far it has been good news.  I have faith I will continue to heal back to my 100% healthy leg, foot, ankle, etc. 

I can now shower comfortably.  I have to use a chair in the shower though.  I have to be extra careful not to fall, not only that, I have a restriction on the amount of weight I can put on my right leg.  Dr placed me on an air cast boot.  I am to use it everyday.  The night is optional.  But since I'm paranoid, I sleep with it on as well.  I still have to continue using my crutches for an additional 6 weeks.  I am not allowed to walk without them. 

So, on Monday, when my cast was removed, it was not a pretty sight. UGH. I know this is gross, but I want to document it.  My foot was covered in DEAD skin. Ugh!! That's what happens when you don't wash it for that long!! Que awite!  Needless to say, I took a LONG shower that night.  Actually, every night since that day have been long showers.  Oh my gosh............now I know just how long the hair on my legs can get, lol!

Everyday I imagine myself walking.  Boy, we take so many things for granted.  Now I can see how much time I was wasting!  Time is so precious and when we have it all, we don't even appreciate it.  I LOVE to do things for my family, so all this time has been hard seeing them do things for me.  I must admit, it does feel kinda good being pampered and not being expected to do ANYTHING.  Although, my family will tell you that I am a trooper.  I have still attempted to do things.  I have cooked, baked, washed, dried & put away laundry, swept, mopped, clean toilets.....all on my crutches or rolling desk chair.  I roll around at work and I roll around at the house.  I have to thank my sister in law Nela for the idea.  As the days went by, things got a lot easier.

Tonite I did a little research.  I want to make sure and do whatever movements or exercises I need to do to  restore full range of mobility to my ankle.  I will continue to do them.  So far, since day one, NO Pain.  But I am having swelling when I go long periods without elevating my foot.  It feels kinda stiff around the ankle area.  I don't like that my right leg looks skinner than the left.  I guess I lost some muscle.  If only I would look skinnier in other areas, lol.  Speaking of that, I have to admit, I've had to use the jazzy electric wheelchairs at the stores.  I use them cuz if I just crutch myself around the store, I begin to sweat and the sole of my left foot will hurt!  I will say, because I am FULL figured, I don't like using it!! I don't want people to think I'm using it because I am overweight and can't walk.  So I usually like to put my leg on top of the little attached basket.  Pero not even like that will I get back on the wagon of eating healthy.  Anyways, that's a never ending story :P

I did find out that my Roboto leg must be high tech.  Abel said it was a Reebok Pump Boot.  It's got a little internal pump to pump air.  It also has a little valve to release the air.  I was reading that some boots need an external pump. NO thank you :)

Well, it's getting late, and I must elevate!!!



No comments: